Krea University invites applications for the position of Research Assistant as part of a research project in the broad area of economics/political economy.
Two faculty members at Krea University (Karthik Rao Cavale and Sumit Mishra) have initiated a project to examine the long-term effects of colonial land tenure on economic development in present-day Tamil Nadu (part of the erstwhile Madras Presidency). Research assistants will be involved in digitizing archival data, conducting a literature review, and carrying out data analysis.
This position is ideal for candidates who have a long-term interest in social science research and wish to explore various disciplinary pathways. Working on this project will expose candidates to diverse styles of social science research. We encourage women, and candidates from SC/ST/OBC and other marginalized groups to apply.
Required technical skills:
- Proficiency in R or Python.
Required educational qualifications:
- A master’s degree in economics, development studies, or other related fields.
- Ability to speak and write in Tamil is preferred.
- Any experience of conducting archival research would be helpful, though it is not necessary.
- Strong written and oral communication in English, aptitude for problem solving, and attention to detail.
Duration and location:
The position will be initially offered for a period of six months and may be extended depending on performance. The position is based in Sri City, Andhra Pradesh (located about 70 km from Chennai).
Selected candidates will be paid a consolidated sum of Rs. 45,000 per month. Candidates will receive subsidized housing and food within or in the vicinity of the university campus.
Candidates may send their applications in the form of a consolidated PDF file to Karthik Rao Cavale ([email protected]) or Sumit Mishra ([email protected]) with the following material:
1) a cover letter expressing interest in the position;
2) a detailed CV in PDF format; and
3) one reference.
The name of the PDF attachment should include the candidate’s full name.
The deadline to apply is 25 February 2023. The selection process will involve a short online interview. Selected candidates will be required to join by 15 March 2023.